Mentors In Greater Hamilton Teaching Youth
This unique Entrepreneurship Program, entering its 3rd year, engages youth in a demonstration of entrepreneurship as a viable career option. MIGHTY utilizes experiential learning to provide context for small business success. Participants gain foundation knowledge for a small business launch, which includes product development, customer service, basic financial literacy all focused on implementing a business plan. The program allows participants to be mentored by business professionals, allowing them to develop the skills and confidence needed as they take on the entrepreneurial mindset. Participation supports several SHSM program requirements.
· Earn ‘certifications’, ‘reach ahead’, ‘experiential learning’ and ‘co-op’ towards fulfilling SHSM requirements
· Develop your own business plan with support of a mentor and coach, apply to the Summer Company Program (grant opportunity up to $3000)
· Opportunity to earn 2 Co-op credits over the summer running your own business
MIGHTY is an after school program open to high school students 14-19 in the Greater Hamilton Area (Both Public and Catholic. Sessions are hosted at Mohawk College.
Here is how it works:
- Using a school bus, we will pick you up from your school and bring you to session location and then return you to your school after session (you then travel home on your own)
- Sessions are held from 3:30-5:00pm at Mohawk College and CoMotion on King (it’s a large building that house many small businesses)
- Sessions at Mohawk College are run every other week on the following days: March 7th, March 21st, April 4th
- Sessions at CoMotion will be run on Tuesdays on: April 19th, April 26th, May 3rd
- Throughout each session you will learn how to develop your idea into a functional business, how to apply to the Ontario Summer Company program (the $3000 grant)
- You will also be teamed up with Mohawk College student to act as mentor to help you create and write your business plan (something you will need to get into the Summer Company Program
- By the last session you will have gained experience in many of the important skills required to run your own business
- The program will end with a MIGHTY Pitch event held at Innovation Factory, where MIGHTY grads will be celebrated and given the opportunity to “Pitch” there business to the community. Leading to this Pitch even there is a “Practice Pitch” session where MIGHTY grads will gain experience in making a business pitch
Now accepting applications.
The program concludes with a MIGHTY PITCH ceremony where all participants pitch their businesses, while also celebrating their collective achievements.
We are pleased to announce that of our 11 graduates from 4 schools across Hamilton, 7 applied and were accepted into the Ontario Summer Company Program summer 2015.
If you are interested in participating, please see the Get Involved section.
How it works
Through a program called Summer Company, you can get two things:
- start-up money to kick-off a new summer business
- advice and mentorship from local business leaders to help get the business up and running
Learning how to run your own student business is one of the best summer jobs you can have. You get to be your own boss while learning what it takes to manage a business. Sales, marketing, invoicing, bookkeeping, customer relationship, management – these are just a few of the highly useful skills you will develop.
Who is eligible
You could be eligible, if you:
- go to high school, college or university in Ontario
- live in Ontario
- are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- are between 15-29 years old (if under 18: a parent needs to sign the application)
- are not already running a business
- are not working more than 12 hours week at another job during the program
- are returning to school after the program ends
You cannot apply again, if you have received a Summer Company grant in the past.
If you are on social assistance (Ontario Works or Ontario Disability Support Program) you can still apply to Summer Company. Payments from the program may be exempt as income and assets under social assistance, so your monthly social assistance payment may not be affected.
Maximum grant: $3,000
Successful Summer Company applicants get:
- up to $1,500 up front to help with start-up costs
- up to $1,500 when you successfully complete the program requirements
How it works
Through a program called Starter Company, you can get:
- one-on-one guidance from a Small Business Enterprise Centre advisor
- mentoring with a local successful entrepreneur
- access to business workshops on topics from writing a business plan and budgeting, to executing a marketing campaign
- funding of up to $5,000
- experience running a business that will better position you to obtain more traditional financing, such as a bank loan
Who is eligible
You can apply if you're:
- an Ontario resident aged 18 to 29
- not attending school full time
To qualify for funding of up to $5,000, you need to be able to contribute at least 25% (in cash or in kind) of the grant amount.
If you are on social assistance (Ontario Works or Ontario Disability Support Program) you can still apply to Starter Company. Payments from the program may be exempt as income and assets under social assistance, so your monthly social assistance payment may not be affected.
How to apply
You can apply at any time.
You need to apply through a Small Business Enterprise Centre.
You can set up an appointment to discuss the application process or get more information through your local centre.