Take Our Kids to Work
Take Our Kids to Work™ Day is a national initiative that allows Grade 9 students to explore the world of work by spending a day at work with a parent, relative, or friend. IEC of Hamilton is proud to be the local coordinator of this National program on behalf of the Learning Partnership.
Your students learn about a lot of things in the classroom, but they won’t be in school forever. Help them experience a day in the life of a mentor.
Take Our Kids to Work benefits your students by:
- Helping students make the connection between learning and earning
- Helping students understand the complexity of career choices and the benefits of early exploration
- Allowing students to explore career options in practical ways
- Providing the opportunity for students to understand the skills required in today’s workplace
- Creating awareness and appreciation for their parent’s role in making a living and supporting a family
Each high school has a teacher coordinator. To find out who your school’s coordinator is, please contact us and we will connect you with the right person.
The opportunity for you to demonstrate interest, caring and support for your teenage child is an important element in the success of Take Our Kids to Work. They benefit from seeing you contribute to your workplace while exploring career opportunities within our community. This is generally the first exposure that they have had and who better to show them than you!
Benefits for Parents:
- Allows you the opportunity to discuss careers based on a shared workplace experience
- Provides engagement opportunities in dialogue before, during and after the visit
- Develops a better understanding of the connections between what students are learning in the classroom and essential skills in the workplace
Showcase your organization’s commitment to the education of young people, the workforce of the future. Young people are typically most resilient when they know that they have the support of the broader community. They also appreciate opportunities for active participation in the authentic context of the workplace.
Additional benefits for employers include:
- A chance to highlight the range of jobs available within the organization.
- An opportunity to acknowledge and support employees as parents.
- An enhancement of morale, community spirit and workplace pride among all employees.
- An insight into the important partnership between school and workplace in promoting and supporting continuous learning and successful transitions for young people.
Take Our Kids to Work™ is a registered trademark of The Learning Partnership – a national not-for-profit organization dedicated to championing public education across Canada. IEC Hamilton is pleased to be Hamilton’s local coordinator for this annual event.